Friday, December 14, 2007

Work, swim, bike, run, eat, sleep, repeat

This is pretty much my life these days, if it’s not on this list, I’m not doing it, but there seems to be a slight problem. No where on that list do I see shopping or baking or decorating or entertaining or wrapping or even cleaning or shoveling or ‘blogging’ for that matter. So are you starting to see my dilemma? This Ironman training gig seems to be taking an unbelievable amount of time and coordination, and I know it’s only going to get worse. I’m sure that’s the reason I never thought to do this before now, well that and the fact that I couldn’t swim or bike or run ... but I digress ...

On the bright side of things, my family and friends seem to be a pretty understanding lot and I’m sure they’ll forgive me when their usual homemade gourmet gift basket is reduced to a powerbar and a packet of chocolate energy gel. Or when they stop by my house for some ‘holiday cheer’ and the only ‘mixers’ I have are protein powder and glutamine. And even then I’m sure they’ll be kind enough to not comment on the fact that a bicycle on a trainer is now the centerpiece of my living room. Conveniently, it has taken over the spot traditionally reserved for the tree – actually I’ll bet they won’t even notice if I throw some lights on the handlebars and let them pile the unreciprocated presents around the sweat mat, uh, I mean ‘tree skirt.’ But the final straw may just be when my single crack at ‘holiday entertaining’ is inviting them to read this blog! Glad I’m not the only one having to suffer this holiday season.

4 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Thank you for posting your story.

I think we all have additions of some kind. And I would personally prefer to fall into the sleep, work, swim, bike, run, eat, repeat catagory that some other kinds.

I will be following your adventure. Good luck.

Becky said...

Hmmm, actually if you're taking requests, in honor of the season I'll have one of these...

but I would settle for this for dessert,

And while you're at it, heat up some of this...

But I do like the idea of putting lights on the bike, just remember to take them off before you ride, that could be one hell of a short circuit!

And really, would you rather be at the mall right now!?!

Becky said...

oh and scrooge, you're lucky I didn't post THAT video! :)

-EW said...

Hey ML! Its EW..your other CKC friend. Glad to hear you are out there. i thought perhaps you were swallowed by your aero helmet. no worries on the bike tree. you aren't alone. i use my sweaty socks for ornaments. trees die but a bike is forever. Happy holidays!