Wednesday, January 2, 2008

re·solve

re·solve (re-zolv) n.
1. something one has decided to do, a resolution
2. great determination

My gym is going to be packed for the next few weeks and there’ll be a line out the door to sign up and weigh in at my Weight Watchers meetings, but sadly come March the New Year’s promise of health and fitness will be long gone from the majority of those vowing to turn over a new leaf this January 2nd.

I know, I’ve ‘been there, done that’ many times over. Thankfully, for a fortunate few, there’ll be resolutions that stick – they’re usually the kind that come to you, not on a certain ‘date’ or after a season of indulgence, but rather out of the blue. Out of the blue after years of frustrations, failed attempts, self doubt, unanswered questions and endless excuses – but then a sudden realization that something’s clicking or an instant ‘a ha’ moment that makes you realize your time is now.

So go ahead, make a resolution, be resolute, resolve something … and be relentless and unyeilding in your quest to make it happen.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I know I told you about how one of the students who works in our lab was talking about her New Years' "Revolution"...well, after a good laugh at that, I realized that maybe in our case, it's apropos.

According to Wikipedia, "A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turnaround") is a significant change that usually occurs in a short period of time"

Does that sound familiar? I'm fairly certain your life has undergone significant changes in the last few months...

And according to Webster a revolution is "a fundamental change in the way of thinking about or visualizing something". Such as, your belief in your ability to tackle this challenge...

Ok, now I've got to get some shuteye so I can get up bright and early and do about a billion 'revolutions' on the spinning bike. ;)