Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I’ve got questions, you’ve got answers!

Just wondering if some of the IM veterans out there wouldn’t mind taking a minute to give this Accidental Ironman the 411 for race day, along with some of your best advice. Never having done or even spectated at an IM event, well I’ve got a lot of questions and would also like to hear other peoples strategies (not to say I’m going to use them, but more just curious – I do know the ‘rule’ about not trying anything new on race day – I’m slow, but I’m learning! ;-)

Ok, for starters:

1. When do you typically plan on arriving to the race town – how many days in advance? What do you do to calm your nerves in the days/hours leading up to the event?

2. How does the transition area work? (I’m imagining a big tent where we grab our T bag, change then go get the bike or head out on the run?)

3. Are there tents? Are they split by gender?

4. What do you do with your wetsuit after the swim?

5. Is there anything beside your bike where your bike is racked? (Do you need to put helmet, shoes etc in T1 bag?)

6. Not that I would even consider trying it, but I think someone told me for IM that only the pros are allowed to leave transition with their shoes already attached to their bike, just wondering if that’s true?

7. During the bike when they do bottle handoffs are the contents cold?

8. Assuming I’ll find out during the mandatory meeting, but about how many ‘bottle handoff’ opportunities are there per bike lap?

9. How does the special needs bag work? Do you have to stop and get off your bike and go search for it? Do you typically use it?

10. What would you typically put in the bike and run special needs bags? I’ve read varying suggestions – one being not to put anything in there that you ever want back!

11. How many spare tubes/CO2 cartridges do you usually carry?

12. If it’s hot, is it a good idea to put frozen bottles of water/sportsdrink in the special needs bag?

13. I’ve read the Athletes Rules or guidebook and didn’t see it very accurately explained about port-a-potties on the bike course (and run course). Are the only opportunities for that in Transition? Do people go into transition between bike laps? Is that even allowed? Will you get penalized or DQ’d if you jump in the bushes or run into a gas station? (Don’t really think I could do that ‘pee on the bike thing’ not to mention, it’s much harder for women!)

14. What do you 'think about' during the race? Particularly the run, I know I'm going to be out there a long time and I think it's going to be to difficult to stay positive the entire time, how do you talk yourself out of being tired, exhausted, in pain, etc?

15. If its taken you 15+ hours how did you feel when you were done? What did you do right after (eat, sleep, pass out, cry)?

16. Were you able to sleep after the race? What about the night before? How did you feel the next day? (wondering if I’ll need a ‘driver’ for the ride back to Buffalo)

17. Do you do a ‘dry run’ for race morning in the days leading up to the race? (Get up ungodly early, eat breakfast, then do an early swim, etc?)

18. If you’re racing and don’t sign up for next year the day before, you’re still eligible to do so the next day, correct? Just not guaranteed?

19. Does anyone have any idea how many slots are typically left after the Monday onsite signup (just wondering for friends who can’t make the trip)?

Ok, and to wrap up a few more specific to the Lake Placid area:

20. Where are some of your favorite spots to watch the various legs?

21. What are good things in the area for spectators to do between laps/passes?

22. Any suggestions on restaurants that are good/healthy that both myself and family (not racing) would be happy with (In LP or Saranac)?

23. Where’s the best place to get a massive pancake breakfast on Monday morning? :-)

And finally, please post about yourself:

24. What IM's have you done? Why/how did got into triathlon? What drives you to go through the rigors of training for one? Plus anything else you might want us to know!

Ok, that’s all for now – answer whichever ones you like, or just copy and paste it into an email and send it to me at mlh@roadrunner~nospam~.com (remove ~nospam~). If I get enough replies I’ll post a summary.
Thanks everyone!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that most of your questions and concerns will be answered during the pre race briefings, by asking your coach, and just chatting w/ people in the day or two prior to the race. I've only done one IM, but my advice to you is to think about doing each of the 3 parts as negative splits. In addition, don't think too far ahead, just take one buoy, one mile marker, one aid station at a time...your goal should be to finish feeling good. Just stay within yourself and don't think about anyone else's expectations. If you have a smart race and do your best, you can't ask for anything more. Best of luck, Natalie (from the contest)

Mary Lou said...

Thanks to everyone who emailed me with answers -they were really helpful and fun to read - I'll post some of them when this is all over and I have more time - but you all defintely helped clear a few things up - and my friends and family thoroughly enjoyed "The Tail O the Pup!! " :-)