Thursday, July 10, 2008

Reflections in Mirror Lake

I took advantage of the long holiday weekend and spent the 4th, 5th & 6th in Lake Placid trying to wrap my hands and my head around the Ironman Course. But instead I think it just about choked me those first few days.

But first things first I have to thank Becky, my friend and training partner for making the trip with me and showing me how to really ride and run this course – not too mention putting up with all of my anxiety and stress and down right bad attitude – I’m finally coming around though, I swear! And when she can work this race into her schedule, well, look out Lake Placid!

Despite all the reassurances from people who’ve done it – I have to tell ya, you’re wrong! The routes, while certainly scenic, are, quite frankly, a bitch! Sure there’s a few nice downhills on the bike, but there really is nothing “rolling” about it. And true also, that parts of the run are a bit remote and really beautiful, maybe I'd feel better if I didn't have to do it all twice.


I’ve pretty much been a pile a nerves since the announcement that I was selected to do Lake Placid.. Don’t get me wrong, I certainly don’t want to appear ungrateful for all the support and opportunities I’ve been given, but I will be honest and tell you that I’m pretty much scared to death of actually having to do this race.

Race? Hmm … that’s another issue. You know the real goal of this whole contest is to not only do an Ironman, but also to do it fast enough to qualify for the World Championships in Kona, Hawaii, right? I will confess that there were times during my training, rare, optimistic moments, when I really believed “yeah, I can quality.” Then I’d realize to do so I’d have to swim twice as fast as I’m capable of, have the bike ride of my life and then go out and run a marathon at my 5k pace – absolutely, it could happen! What a story!

Ok it’s been months since I’ve had those thoughts, I’m far too much of a realist – I know I’ve had brief moments when my body has performed slightly better than expected, but more times than not it’s been quite the opposite. I toe the line with visions of glory and see myself sprinting through the tape with my arms raised in victory … then the starting horn blows and I find myself minutes later floating on my back and asking the lifeguards in the kayaks if there’s a cutoff for the swim portion of the Olympic distance race that is now rapidly leaving me behind.


I do know my limitations, but it doesn’t mean I’m not going to will every muscle and bone in my body to be it’s best on that day. But what I have to accept is that “my best” for this distance will likely be a far cry from any qualifying time and I’m realizing a 15 hour Ironman IS fast – and more than likely damn near impossible for someone like me – doing my first Ironman with only a hand full of poor showings in some local sprints and a couple of Olympic distance races. Someone whose body was probably never really built to run, and someone who, a year ago, was convinced a 70.3 race (half Ironman) was a VERY lofty goal for 2008.

With that said, the competitor in me has been working and struggling day and night to let go of the word “race.” This cannot be about age groups, or winning, or placing, or qualifying, or split times, it just has to be about finishing, plain and simple … cross the line before they unplug the clock and pack up the tents and put away the medals, there can be no other goal. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to everyone whose taken the time to try to convince this stubborn girl that training for and doing an Ironman is supposed to be fun. I think I let the unlikeliness of this whole situation get the best of me at times and I focus on what I fear: Won’t it be hard? Of course. Painful? Absolutely. Isn’t it impossible? Definitely not. I’ve never heard anyone say they’ve regretted doing an Ironman, so I’ve got my ‘Lucky Triathlon Stone’ in my pocket and there’s no way I’m turning back now.

Finally, to Andy, whose last name begins with an “S” and ends in a vowel with something ethnic in-between that I can’t begin to remember, who spoke to me about the race as we both set off for a 6:30 a.m. training swim in Mirror Lake on Sunday morning, thank you. Our discussion wasn’t unlike a lot of advice I’d been told before, but with the past 2 training days fresh on my mind as we were treading water that morning, well, it was the first time I actually “heard” it. So thanks for explaining the swim start to me and giving me tips on how to manage it. Thanks for the advice on how I should hang back on the first lap of the bike so as not to get “eaten up” on the second and how a “14-hour guy” keeps coming back for more year after year. But most of all thanks for showing me your enthusiasm and for letting me know how fun the day can be, because above all I want it to be that ..

3 comments:

Becky said...

I finally got around to reading this post...and first off, thanks for the props, but don't forget, the course 'ate' me up too.

The transformation I've seen in you since learning that you won the 'challenge' and were doing LP is incredible...I know it's scary and it's felt like a roller coaster, but god knows next Sunday, you'll be fulfilling your 'one scary thing for the day'...and then some!

It was my pleasure training with you (stress aside, but those massages made it worth every minute!) and you better believe I plan on tracking you next Sunday, not to mention I'll be plopped in front of my computer on July 21st praying I get a slot for LP 2009. It'll be just like signing up for IM FL, sans broken pelvis (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!)

I'd say good luck, but that's not what you need or want to hear...you've put in the time, you're ready, and YOU'RE gonna eat those hills up!!

-EW said...

you are not scared ML...dont use words that you know dont apply. I am confident that you know what the true meaning of scared is....as im sure you have been there...for real...during times in your life. Dont fear the unknown--be optimistic and excited for the journey ahead. Whatever the clock says...you WILL be an ironman by midnight on Sunday...and in all honesty-there isn't a damn thing scary about that.

Mary Lou said...

Thanks for the notes - Becky - be great in NYC, and good luck with getting into LP next year (you know I would've given you my slot this year if I could have! :-) and thanks for all the training and moral support. I definitely would not be doing this if you hadn't been encouraging and inspiring me to keep trying and convincing me that I can do this - actually I think it's pretty much all of your fault!!

(and yes, definitely a good call on the massage - I've got another scheduled for friday and you should get one after the NYC tri - treat yourself!)

Thanks to Elizabeth too - but I gotta tell you - I do know fear, and I definitely have a bit of it going on - but that's ok, it can motivate too. We're coming at this from very different places so it's kind of hard to explain - but the good news is that as this gets closer there's a fair amount of excitement and anticipation mixing in with all these emotions too - so as they say 'it's all good.'

Have a great race in LP - I have no doubt that you'll be qualifying for Kona this year!