Saturday, July 19, 2008

Walk on the Moon

The song that inspired this post, my 'one small step, my walk on the moon.' (Here and Now is equally as inspirational and 'Ironman appropriate!')

According to the countdown timer on James' blog I'm supposed to start Ironman Lake Placid in just over 10 hours ... HOLY SHIT! I'm doing an Ironman Triathlon tomorrow morning! If you had told me that a year ago I would've laughed at you and if you had told me that five or ten years ago, well a walk on the moon would've seemed the better odds, it does truly seem unbelievable to me still. To say I'm in place I never thought I'd find myself is a HUGE understatement.

I am totally overwhelmed by everything - by the people and participants, by the emails and phone calls, by the unbelievable atmosphere, by everyone here to support the athletes including a ton of people from the Buffalo Triathlon Club - everyone has been SO generous with their encouragement and support. And more than anything I'm blown away by the fact that my friends and family are here, not that I wouldn't do the same for them or that I'm surprised that they took the time to come, but just that they're here for me and excited for me and pulling for me - I can't really explain what a great feeling it is, how it makes me want to really give it my best - plus they actually think I can do this, and the more I hear that, well the more I think maybe, just maybe, I can too.
I'm pretty much an emotional mess, I've been crying off an on at the weirdest moments ever since I arrived in Lake Placid. Someone asked me what I'm going to do at the finish, and honestly I have no idea, first of all, I hope I get to see the finish before midnight, since that's by no means a slam dunk, but beyond that, well I guess I hope I have enough energy left to truly enjoy it and I guess I'd like think that I won't totally embarrass myself, but I couldn't in my wildest dreams imagine how that's actually going to feel - so stay posted for the answer to that one.

For right now, I can just tell you that I'm 'full.' Full of everything - emotion, admiration, appreciation, hope, love, excitement, disbelief, wonder, amazement, and anticipation ... it's all there and seems to be just bursting out in my tears - it's a truly awesome feeling that I'm sure everyone gets to experience in some point in their lives, but this is a first for me. I never would've believed that swimming and biking and running could do such a thing to a person - but I'm glad it did it to me.

A few pics from Lake Placid:
James, Wendy & Ben - James my contest partner in crime and Wendy who managed to bring me to my senses when, after the athlete meeting I told them I was thinking about signing up for next years race. Her comment to me in her perfectly proper english accent was "Mary Lou, have you been drinking?" :-) I didn't sign up, but more on those thoughts another time!
Me in transition - I do believe I've committed a social blunder by wearing the souvenir T from the town while I'm still in it! :-)
Hey? Anyone seen my stuff?
My niece and nephew, doing what they do best - Jaclyn being happy with whatever and Nick eating Bar-B-Q! :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Lou,
In no way do I want to steal your thunder...in every way that thunder is all yours...but I am anxiously awaiting your comments on the event. It was not quite what I expected. Both scary and fun. And I was not alone in expecting that you would do as well as you did. Whew! we are all soggy and proud! How 'ya feeling today??

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing the Ironman, Mary Lou. You rock!!!

Margaret

James said...

Mary Lou,

It was great to be able to hang out with you before and after the race and I am so glad that we had the opportunity to meet and compete at Lake Placid.

I know we didn't have a lot of time to chat after the race and my mind was probably still reeling from the day before so I await your race report with anticipation.

Again many congratulations and you are right it is a social faux par to wear your tourist T-Shirt in town but then it is not as bad as wearing Ironman gear when you are not an Ironman - no longer an issue for you.

James